Saturday, July 28, 2012

Move Out!

     In just under a week, Sibley and I will move out of our dorm room and begin our last section of summer. After living here for a year, it feels strange to remove my posters and my belongings, packing them away to return home. Memories of the crazy adventures of the past year come flooding back to me. The weirdest part is that I know that during the next semester, I won’t bring most of these things and I will be creating totally new and different memories.  
   
A collage of 504 during various stages of the year. What a great year!
     As I was cleaning my desk and organizing my things, our roommate Jess went around the room and picked up various items that had become associated with my room.

"Are you going to take this with you to Spain?” She asked, pointing at a turtle pillow or a picture or a blanket.

    I laughed and kept cleaning, folding clothes and putting them in a suitcase. What will it be like, I wonder, living in another home, in another country? I am sure it will be strange and unfamiliar, but also thrilling and exciting.
 
    As I pack my things, I feel ready. I feel like I can adapt to the new culture in Spain and hopefully even become a part of it. Each day I find a new picture of a Spanish cathedral or museum and awe at the beauty of it. I am captivated by the great history of Spain and all that it has contributed to the world. I can’t wait to take it all in and experience it LIVE and in person! 

2 comments:

  1. culture shock
    n.
    A condition of confusion and anxiety affecting a person suddenly exposed to an alien culture or milieu.

    Cultural anthropologists, who do their graduate studies living with a foreign culture, coined the term "culture shock". You should be prepared for initial feelings of nausea--not connected with the food. The good news is that during this period of normal anxiety--of being a stranger in a strange land--it does go away. Fortunately, the two of you will be their long enough to get over both culture shock and jet lag. To reduce the effects of "jet lag" make sure to do the following after take off. Drink water and put on ear buds to block out the noise. Get eye shades and go to sleep. If you miss the in flight dinner & a movie, your not missing much.

    Hope to continue to hear about the adventures of the American cousins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, the school has actually prepared us for that! We had to take a special online course, and one part described the different emotional highs and lows that study abroad students go through. Luckily, we have each other so we won't feel totally alone in a different country and culture.

    Thanks for the jet lag tips! Sibley gets a little nervous on flights, as I found out this summer, but I think we will work through it. :)

    ReplyDelete